Thursday, May 1, 2014

If I could FIRE a FIREwall

Ok so here is the story. Yesterday was roll out day! YAY! After major issues with Credly and coming up with creative work arounds everything was set and ready to go and I was ready for a great day.

Students in our first class got in, signed up, with the typical seventh grade - "wait what?" or "what is my user name again?" Students started working, they were feeling like it was a lot of work and a little frustrating at times for them, but it was all working and we were taking their feedback as useful information to use in future planning.

Then came the 10:30 class. Full of happy smiling faces fresh from recess where they were enjoying sunshine and fresh air. I told students to go to the website and this is what we were met with.

Being the quick thinking tech integrated teacher that I am I told students "Do not worry class...everything will be fine..." while in my head I was saying a bunch of words that if used in the classroom would create a lot of trouble for me. So I jumped to firefox! What a great idea I thought...


Ok this is when I started to get frustrated. I could not even log in on my end and I had ALL of my work stored in the website. I could not even pull the work that students could do - so we watched a movie about the Civil War and said we would try again tomorrow. 

Today is tomorrow and I can still not access the site in the building. I am able to access it out of the building and at home I was able to pull the quests and turn them into google docs and have students work on their choice of three quests today in class - but it is so not the experience that I was hoping for my students to have. 

This is clearly an issue with the firewall at school - however I am not having much support in getting this fixed so here I am sitting and waiting - hoping that this "issue fixes itself." Bill Slocum. 

Here goes to deeps breaths and smiles through the challenges! 


No comments:

Post a Comment